Richard Carr has made a life of being a leader and training, mentoring, and empowering other leaders. Richard is West Point graduate; took over his family company, Car Paper Company, upon completion of his service in the United States Army; started another complimentary company Sentinel Container; earned an MBA from Pepperdine University (go Waves!); and through a joint program with Pepperdine University, Richard found Vistage Worldwide.
Richard's experience as a Vistage member was so powerful, he left his role as CEO of Sentinel Container to be a Vistage Chair; he lead groups from 1992–1998. From 1998-2005, Richard served as the CEO of Vistage Worldwide and under his leadership Vistage had a compounded growth rate of 15% per year, growing from 4,000 members to over 10,000 members.
Following his post as CEO of Vistage, Richard also served as the Vice Chairman of the Board and Executive Vice President.
Today he’s still in love with the idea and practice of Vistage and serves as a Vistage chairperson for three groups and one Vistage inside group.
Episode 036 of my leadership podcast truly is a gem of an episode with a gentleman who has a lifetime of leadership to share with you.
In episode 036 of Garage to Goliath | Leaders Building Legacies, hear:
• Leadership lessons Richard learned in the Army from General Frank Mildren [4:12]
• What impacted Richard the most in the Army [9:39]
• Richard’s advice to veterans transitioning from the military into the civilian world [11:04]
• How Richard forged an aggressive growth path as CEO of his family company [26:45]
• What Richard did when his business was too big to be small and too small to be big [33:35]
• About the Vistage $15 million meeting [46:46]
• The biggest stumbling block to leadership success [47:57]
• About a time when Richard wasn’t leading well [52:55]
• The one thing Richard looks for in his top people [57:29]
Links from episode 036 of Garage to Goliath | Leaders Building Legacies:
- About Richard Carr
- Vistage Worldwide
- Tribe by Sebastian Junger
- Richard’s Vistage inside group, Million Dollar Baby Company
- Do you have CEO Disease?
P.S. In this episode, Richard Carr and I talk about the dreaded disease that stunts leadership growth—CEO Disease. To learn if CEO Disease is crippling you get a free copy of my leadership ebook: Is CEO Disease Crippling Your Company? How to Diagnose and Treat It Before It’s Too Late.
Learn seven symptoms of CEO Disease that will keep you from going far as a leader, get your free copy of my leadership ebook here.