Wow, I’m so excited to introduce you to professional beach volleyball player and Olympic medalist—Holly McPeak—on episode 042 of my leadership podcast.
Holly McPeak has quite the resume, including:
- 72 career titles
- Is among the top three most winningest woman in pro beach volleyball history
- 2004 Olympic Bronze medalist with partner, Elaine Youngs
- One of only five women worldwide to participate in three Olympics in beach volleyball
- Elected to the Volleyball Hall of Fame in 2009
She was an amazing athlete and leader on the court and now is so giving as a coach, mentor, and role model to thousands of young women trying to make their own mark on the sport of beach volleyball.
I’m fortunate to call Holly a friend and am so grateful for the mentor she is to my daughter, Corinne, as she pursues her passion for beach volleyball.
This episode of Garage to Goliath | Leaders Building Legacies is jammed pack with leadership lessons for student athletes, players, parents, and coaches alike.
For the players and student athletes, listen to Holly McPeak:
- Explain the character traits of a champion [2:35]
- Share what she learned from volleyball legend, Gene Selznick, at the 1996 Olympics [3:19]
- Define what she looks for in athletes off the court [5:05]
- Empower you to advocate for yourself!
- Teach you to learn and live a “next play” mindset [15:51]
- Equip you with self awareness—your body language really does matter [20:09]
- Talk with Dan about being a “pointer” [20:47]
- Learn how great players communicate on the court [22:15]
- Reveal huge red flags to avoid [24:45]
For the sports parents, how are you leading? Listen to learn:
- A cautionary tale to parents—you might be hurting your player [30:47]
- The importance of rest for your athlete [35:15]
- From Holly the most frustrating things parents do [36:44]
- The parental behavior that is actually hurting your athlete’s success [39:27]
- Actions parents can take to enhance the athlete’s journey [41:09]
- How to practice your “resting cardio” as a parent [43:24]
Coaches, there is something for you too. Hear Holly talk about:
- Why positive coaching is so important [47:49]
- Her personal coaching philosophy 
- How she coaches athletes that have raw talent but the wrong attitude [53:17]
- Are you a yeller? [57:13]
Listen, learn, and lead—on and off the court!
Links from episode 042 of Garage to Goliath | Leaders Building Legacies podcast:
- Holly McPeak: Facebook | Twitter
- Elite Beach Volleyball: Website | Facebook
- 7 DAYS TO BEING A BETTER SPORTS PARENT guide from Holly McPeak & Dan Quiggle
P.S. Thanks for listening! To help this leadership podcast succeed, please:
- Subscribe to my leadership podcast on iTunes or SoundCloud.
- Leave an honest comment in iTunes. Your ratings help me get better as a host and it helps others find the show