Episode 026 of my leadership podcast is a conversation I had with Amy Lisewski.
Amy is the founder and CEO of Finest City Improv; the author of, Relax, We’re All Just Making This Stuff Up: Using the tools of improvisation to cultivate more courage and joy in your life; and a fellow Vistage Worldwide speaker.
At Finest City Improv, Amy and her team, use the methods of improv and drama to empower people to be better, more positive leaders.
Listen to episode 026 of Garage to Goliath | Leaders Building Legacies as Amy shares:
- The wonders of improv for personal and professional development as a great way to get over the fear of failure and a great way to learn to communicate more effectively with others. [1:56]
- Where she got her idea to use improv to help people build better businesses. [14:51]
- The opportunity failure creates and why she encourages people to fail spectacularly and repeatedly. [33:32]
- The 2 ideas she shares with CEOs and executives leadership teams when she speaks for Vistage Worldwide. [43:24]
- The shocking thing she did to be more present! [1:00:15]
In our talk together, Amy also walks through the 5 fundamentals of improvisation for business:
1. Perform as an ensemble - use all individual's strengths and put the team first.
2. A yes, and mindset - the shortcut phrase to create positivity, action, and possibility.
3. Take Action - do it with courage and conviction.
4. Be Flexible - it's okay to make mistakes and when change happens, look for the positive, possibilities, and new opportunities.
5. Find the joy - relax and connect with other people; there is more opportunity to celebrate when we’re in community.
Episode 026 of Garage to Goliath | Leaders Building Legacies is a fun one. Enjoy!
Thanks for listening! To help the show succeed, please:
- Subscribe to my leadership podcast on iTunes or SoundCloud.
- Leave an honest comment in iTunes. Your ratings help me get better as a host and it helps others find the show.
Show related links:
- Finest City Improv: Website | Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn
- Relax, We’re All Just Making This Stuff Up: Using the tools of improvisation to cultivate more courage and joy in your life by Amy Lisewski
- “4 Things That Set Successful CEOs Apart.” Harvard Business Review. May/June 2017 (pp.70-77).
Learn more about Dan as a leadership keynote speaker and invite Dan to inspire your team to lead with purpose, direction, and optimism.