What is empathy?
Empathy is the practice of understanding another person's thoughts, feelings, and condition from their point of view, rather than from your own, according to Psychology Today.
Empathy is the ability to understand others and what others are going through.
What does this mean for you as a leader? Well let me ask you this . . .
As an employee, what are your co-workers going through in their lives right now?
As a business leader, what are you employees experiencing in their personal lives?
The answer is . . .
People are going through absolutely everything. All the time.
Graduations. Anniversaries. Births. Sick family members. Trouble with spouses. Death of parents. Life. Everything. All the time.
In no way am I suggesting you be a counselor.
I am saying, there is something really special and powerful, as leaders, when we care for and about other people.
Listen to episode 039 of my leadership podcast to learn:
- An inspiring story of how to be a guardian as a leader
- About the power in empathy
- My controversial personal mission; it's the one thing I think is absolutely unacceptable as a leader
Listen and enjoy!
Remember to get your free copy of my leadership ebook: Is CEO Disease Crippling Your Company? | How to Diagnose and Treat It Before It's Too Late.
Thanks for listening! To help the show succeed, please:
- Subscribe to my leadership podcast on iTunes or SoundCloud.
- Leave an honest comment in iTunes. Your ratings help me get better as a host and it helps others find the show